Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Frugal Friday

Every Friday, I like to share my free or frugal finds (trying saying that three times fast). Here is this week's offering:





When we moved into this house 14 years ago, kitchen cabinets flanked the window. I hated them. They were old and made the already-small room dark and cave-like. When we eventually replaced the cabinets, I decided to buy only the lowers, and used open shelving instead of upper cabinets. It made the space a lot nicer.

Face-forward two summers ago. With the kitchen painted a burnt orange, a french country/cottage theme started evolving and the shelves seemed out of place. I believe that rooms will tell you what they want if you listen closely. That's what happened here: before long artwork, mirrors and items not typically found in kitchens found their way into mine. The walls beside the window screamed for something different.




I found these shutters on the side of the road. At the time, I'd intended them for the front of the house but they were too small. Surprisingly, they fit the kitchen windows perfectly. After a good cleaning and a coat of paint from my teen-ager, we were good to go.


Did I say perfect fit? As you can see, they're off by a touch, but I can live with it. Free is free (happy face). I can't tell you how easy they were to put up. Honestly, it took me longer to snap the pics and upload to this blog than to hang the shutters. (another happy face).

No comments:

Post a Comment